Sunday, May 23, 2010

Who knew there were so many choices?

So i was excited about making it to my second trimester and was anxiously awaiting that burst of energy...well apparently it has arrived...at 3am! I guess I should have been more specific about my expectations...lesson learned! Now as I wait for the glass of warm milk to kick in, I'll update you all on the other goings on in the prep for Baby Bealer!

Yesterday we went to a cloth diapering class...now before you jump to any conclusions, we're not turning into hippies as my Mama likes to say! We just feel that we don't want to add more to our carbon footprint by filling our landfills with more plastic and crap (literally!...I just cracked myself up a little there!). Most of you probably remember cloth diapering as using safety pins and hot, plastic pants. Now there are so many options out there and they have fun names like Happy Hineys, FuzzyBunz, BumGenius, Tiny Tushes and the like! Before we went to the class, I thought I knew what kind that I wanted and I was really just going to the class so that Jeff could see what it was all about. After about five minutes into it, my head was spinning! Who knew there could be so many options on how to catch the pee and poop from your baby?!? The insides of some of these diapers are so soft that I was actually hoping that they came in my size! So we decided on the Chinese prefolds with waterproof covers (by a company called Thirsties...makes them seem super absorbent, right!). We also registered for some of what they call One Size Pocket Diapers. Those mostly fasten like a regular diaper but they are adjustable in the front so that you they can grow as your baby grows! The ones we've registered for are made locally in Lafayette by a company called Fuzzybunz.

We are officially registered now also! The store is called Zuka Baby (www.zukababy.com - our registry won't be posted for about a week or so). A friend told me about this store and from the moment I walked in I fell in love with the place! The lady that owns it is so knowledgeable about cloth diapering, breastfeeding, baby wearing -- all of the things that I was so curious about and could only find information about online. It was so nice and refreshing to see her passion for this and to know that I'm not strange or crazy for wanting to raise my baby in a more natural environment! So, maybe some might think we are hippies...but who cares - everyone has their own chance to raise their child in the way that they see fit and this is just our choice! I'm fine with having a hippie baby! :)

We also plan on registering at Babies R Us for other things like strollers and car seats...but that store is so overwhelming that there's no way that I would ever have expected Jeff to agree to cloth diapering class and registering at TWO stores in one day! We did get alot accomplished by completing the first registry by deciding on diapers and the nursery theme. Now we can start organizing our house to get ready for the baby's room!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment