You know, when I was working as an Activity Director, my entire day revolved around the events that my staff and I planned...I just bounced from one thing to the other just as planned. Well, one thing that I am quickly learning as my pregnancy unfolds is that my life is now directed by something else...something that seems small, but is actually quite controlling....my bladder! I have been drinking tons of water to keep me and the baby hydrated - most days I actually feel like I'm about to float away! The hard lesson that I learned on that long, winding drive up to the Mount Magazine Lodge in Arkansas was that it is not a good idea to drink a ton of water when you aren't sure when the next bathroom/gas station will come along. Seriously, it was so bad that I emptied a plastic water bottle and cut the top off with a knife that Jeff had and was getting ready to hop the seat when out of the blue we came upon the gas station with the "Largest Beer Selection in Town". I thought Jeff and I were both in Heaven!!! I have never been so happy to use a gas station bathroom in all my life. On a side note, Jeff was disappointed by the beer selection since their "large selection" consisted of cases and cases of Natural Light, Coors, Bud and the like...he is drinking for two now that I'm pregnant, however, I think he'd prefer to have water for the rest of the week than indulge in this "large" selection! Anyway, I figured out the hard way that my bladder rules the roost and I now fondly refer to it as the dictator! On the trip home, I carefully planned out when I was going to load up on water based on the directions and the map!! Lesson learned...
We drove to Arkansas for 2 days of R&R at the Mount Magazine Lodge and then headed to Hot Springs to celebrate Mother's Day with Jeff's Mom. I do have to say that my first Mother's Day was super special! Jeff surprised me with a gorgeous necklace and treated me and his mother to a delicious brunch at the Arlington Hotel in downtown Hot Springs. Afterwards we walked down to one of the bath houses called the Quapaw which has not only private baths but also communal pools that you can wade in that are at various temperatures. For over a year, I have not been able to get in our hot tub because we were trying to conceive and now that I'm pregnant it is out of the question. So I figured that if the temperatures in the communal pools weren't too hot that I could indulge a little. When we got there the receptionist told us that pregnant women were not allowed in the baths or the communal pools because the water is detoxifying...I seriously almost cried in that lobby. The reception area is glassed in with the communal pools behind and I could see others enjoying the waterfall and warm waters and I had to walk back outside into the rain and cold. I was very disappointed :( but it's all for a good cause!
Another great milestone this week is that today I'm 14 weeks - which means that I'm now officially in my second trimester! I am very excited about this because now the risk of miscarriage is way down, I can look forward to the burst of energy that comes along with this trimester and I am anxiously awaiting the fluttering of my little one inside of me! As I'm sure I've said before, I don't think I'll ever be able to tell the difference between gas bubbles and the early flutters of my baby! But I'm sure the next few weeks will be very special and as my little one grows bigger and bigger every day (now the size of a lemon), I'm sure I'll come to recognize the little wiggles and squirms! On a different note, if my baby is only the size of a lemon, why do I feel like the Goodyear Blimp??!!!
Although my energy still has yet to come back, I am certainly enjoying my pregnancy and taking it one day at a time! After I get our house back in order and all of the suitcases unpacked I can't wait to start working on the nursery and shopping for strollers and car seats!
No comments:
Post a Comment