I'm sorry to keep everyone in suspense about the rest of my labor and delivery story. Caring for Woodrow is a full time job and opening my computer has not been top on my list most days! Also, I still had not had time to figure out what exactly the diagnosis I received meant (thank God for Google!). So here's the rest of the saga...
The pain that I felt in my chest, that I thought was heart burn at first, turned out to be my liver swelling! Yep, my LIVER! I knew I wasn't crazy when I told the resident on call that my pain was not from contractions! The diagnosis is called HELLP Syndrome (H=hemolysis...breakdown of red blood cells; EL=elevated liver enzymes....liver function; LP=low platelet count...platelets help blood to clot). Some say it is linked with Preeclampsia but it is still not certain. The symptoms often mimic other illnesses and it is often misdiagnosed (as it was in my case).
When the nurse started hooking me up to monitors and got the blood results back when we arrived at the hospital, they quickly saw that my liver enzymes were elevated, my blood platelet level was dangerously low, and my blood pressure was sky high. I was told that 150 is an acceptable number for the blood platelets and 20 is really bad and 17 is critical...my blood platelet level that night was at 18! My blood pressure shot up to 171/101. This was no joking matter and the doctors and nurses had to act quickly. I was immediately given Magnesium Sulfate which they told me was to get my blood pressure down (I also just read that it helps to prevent seizures, which is what happens if preeclampsia is not treated). The only way to treat HELLP syndrome is to deliver the baby. Thank God that I was full term when my symptoms came on.
After Woodrow was born, my symptoms were more under control, but did not immediately go away. I was hooked up to every machine imaginable and had about 3 IVs in my arms...I felt like a human guinea pig and pin cushion all at the same time! Because my platelet level was so low, they gave me 2 units of platelets and because I was borderline anemic anyway, I also received 2 units of blood (the blood was not 100% necessary but they said that my recovery from all of this would take much longer...like several months...if I chose not to get the blood). I was still hooked up to the Magnesium, which made me feel so flush and hot -- I knew I was abnormally hot when my mom came to the hospital and SHE was freezing in the room! Because they were still trying to get my blood pressure under control, I stayed in the Labor and Delivery room for an extra day or two. I was not able to get out of bed for two days, which meant that Jeff had to care for Woodrow (all except for feeding him). It was the first time he changed a diaper, and I have to say that he did a great job! Those first few days were extremely stressful - trying to process everything that happened, hoping that the symptoms would get under control, and trying to take care of a newborn on top of it all! It was definitely not the unmedicated natural childbirth that I had prepared for, but in the end I had a beautiful, healthy son and my health was beginning to improve!
So after being in the hospital for 5 days, we were finally discharged! All I wanted to do was go home - I knew that I would start feeling better and I wanted to be in my own bed without nurses and doctors coming in at all hours of the night. Now the first few nights (and weeks) of having my newborn home were harder than I ever imagined. What did it mean when he cried...was he hungry, wet, dirty, cold, scared, all of the above?!?? And to top it off, I was still recovering from major surgery and dealing with a large incision - getting in and out of bed for every feeding was a major ordeal...but it had to be done.
Everyone is right...it gets a little easier with each passing day. Woody is now 7 weeks old (well, he'll be 7 weeks tomorrow) and I think I know some of his cries. I feel like I live in a constant state of adjustment - and just when I think I have everything figured out, it changes! Woody lost a bit of weight after birth due to the slow start I had and all of the magnesium that they pumped into me. But he is growing and learning all kinds of new things each day!!! He loves to snuggle and is such a good boy. He usually cries to let you know that he needs something - but other than that, he's pretty content. He still like being close to Mommy most of the time, although he enjoys his swing, bouncy seat and colorful floor mat at times! He finally cooed and gave me a big smile yesterday for the first time! This morning I woke up to more smiles! It won't be long before our home will be filled with a babbling baby instead of just a crying one!!
Here are a few new photos - I am in the process of working on his birth announcement (which is also taking longer than expected because of not opening my computer!). I hope to have it finished before his first birthday!!!!
Woodrow and Daddy swinging in the back yard with Allison, the "mommy" dog...she is always checking on Woody and is quick to let me know when he is crying!
Watching the Saints vs. Cowboys game with sleepy eyes on Thanksgiving Day.
Woody and his Woody doll from Papa Icee Bear!
Woodrow's One Month Picture...he slept right through it!
No comments:
Post a Comment