Monday, April 25, 2011

Playing Catch Up

I just looked back at my blog for the first time in a long time and realized that I hadn't posted anything new since January -- wow!  I knew I would have some catching up to do but didn't realize it had been so long!

Woodrow is growing like a weed!  He is so happy and healthy.  Just yesterday (Easter Sunday) he discovered that he can suck on his toes!  I thought he would never find his feet!!!  Woody loves playing on the floor with his toys!  He is able to roll over both ways and is getting faster and faster at moving himself closer to things he wants!  And he definitely knows what he wants!  We are working on his sitting skills - ever since he was born he has pushed with his legs to stand up.  I'm not sure that he will ever learn to sit because of this!

We now all sleep through the night!!!  Jeff and I took the plunge and decided to make a go at sleep training.  Woodrow did sleep with us for several months in the beginning (I'm not afraid to admit that because it's a normal part of life with an infant) - but it got to the point where none of us was getting any quality sleep.  Woodrow would start squirming and it would wake me up - and right when I'd go back to sleep he would be hungry!  So at 5 months (and after he started solids) we made the decision.  We used a variation of the Ferber method and after one long (VERY LONG) night, Woodrow was able to soothe himself back to sleep.  Night time has become a very nice place in our house!

We also had to get Woodrow a new bed.  The famous Kanoe baby hammock was great in the beginning and Woody LOVED it!  However, it stopped working for us once Woody learned how to roll over.  One night I went to check on him and I found him face down (all I saw was his little mullet!) - I immediately woke Jeff up and we set up the pack 'n play as a temporary bed.  Thank God Woodrow was ok!  He now has a regular crib that he sleeps well in and he enjoys being able to roll around in it!

Our growing boy also loves solid food now!  We decided to start Woodrow on solids at 4 1/2 months and I feel like it has taken some pressure of off me with breastfeeding and having a low milk supply.  I still breastfeed him and I enjoy every single minute of it!  I know he will eventually get to the point where he doesn't need his mommy's milk - but right now I'm thankful for every drop of milk that my body produces!  And I am thankful that he still enjoys being close to his mommy during that special time!

So far Woody's favorite solid food is pears, but he also loves peas, green beans, squash, peaches, bananas, oatmeal and quinoa!  He now makes a huge mess when he eats because he has learned to shake his head from side to side!  Oh well, everything is washable!


Our poor boy also has a mullet!  He has this patch of hair on the back of his hair that is dark and will not fall out (all of his other hair that he had at birth fell out).
 

Woodrow will be 6 months next week and I just want time to freeze for a little while - I want to make sure that I am enjoying each stage of his life!  When I look back on the last 6 months I sometimes feel like I have been so stressed out about all of the what-ifs and firsts and making sure that I'm doing everything correctly to give Woody the best of what he needs that I'm did not take the time to breathe and enjoy him.  In the last month, though, I feel like we have crossed a hurdle - he is sleeping through the night, eating solids, and is developing as he should.  I feel like Jeff and I have learned his schedule and can tell what he needs when he cries (most of the time).  I think this makes for one happy kid...and one happy family!

Woodrow is going to have a busy summer - we are going to start going to a new baby group called Busy Babies at the Parenting Center (this is for babies 6 months - 1 year).  Also at the end of May we are going to have a little fish - we are going to start swimming lessons!  So far Woodrow loves being in the water for his bath and doesn't mind water in his face - so I'm hoping that means that he will do ok in his swimming lessons!  It will be interesting!  I'm sure I'll have a few more gray hairs before it's all done!  I just have to make sure that I can touch the bottom of the pool too!  We are also trying to plan a few road trips to see family and friends - haven't tried a long car trip with him yet - so we shall see how that turns out!

All in all, life is good right now!  Our little family is doing really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment