When I got pregnant I was at a time in my life where I knew I was ready to have a child. I thought that if I attended all of the childbirth and breastfeeding classes possible that it would prepare me for how to handle a baby.
WRONG!
My new mommy motto is "It's harder than I thought!". Being a mom is hard work. I'm supposed to be the one that knows how to soothe my son. I'm supposed to know what each cry means. I'm supposed to know if it's time for him to eat, sleep or poop. But what if I don't know...
Breastfeeding, for instance, is harder than I thought. Sure I went to the class (and I made Jeff go too!) so I knew how the baby was supposed to latch on and the exact size of his stomach at birth -- so how hard could it be?! Harder than I thought, that's how hard! As you know, Woody and I had a rough start so my milk was delayed in coming in. He wasn't gaining weight at first and actually lost 13% of his body weight in the hospital. I didn't think anything of it at first, but when we took him for his one month appointment and he still hadn't regained his birth weight, I became concerned. Maybe he's not getting enough milk...but he was the King of Marathon Nursing...he could suck for hours it seemed. So after seeing a lactation consultant we figured out that my milk supply was low. I first tried herbal supplements. No good. I bought a new breast pump and tried pumping 20 minutes after every feeding. No good. I tried the last resort medication that was supposed to increase milk production as a side effect. No good. But all the books and classes assured me that my body was meant to do this -- why couldn't MY body do this?
As I was sitting down this afternoon nursing Woodrow with the little milk that I produce I had an "Ah-Ha" moment! I was watching Dr. Oz and he was discussing calcium supplements and how they affect the absorption of prescription medications and multivitamins. THE LIGHTBULB WENT ON - and not just any old lightbulb...one of those super bright LED lightbulbs....I had been taking the medication to increase my milk supply WITH my calcium supplement AND a prenatal multivitamin.
So tomorrow I am going to pick up another month's worth of this super expensive milk making wonder pill and I have my fingers crossed that this will be the answer I've been working on for the past 7 weeks!
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment